A few institutes have made research on packaging ergonomics. Some of these institutes have measured forces of different groups in society and made statistics out of these measurements.
With these data a company is able to decide a general policy for acceptable forces in a packaging design and document such a choice as a compromise between consumer ergonomics, tamper evidence and product protection.
You will realise after studying the ergonomic data that it will be impossible to design a package for all. You will always have a minority who will not be able to open. For a company the process will be:
- Find some of these ergonomic data (see next page).
- Decide a general policy for the company.
- Document this policy in a short report.
- Design a new package to the policy.
- Document optimal packaging material up to the policy in a product file.