The companies have to document that every single packaging-product-combination meets the national legislative requirements. The EU Packaging Directive lacks a mutual accordance procedure. This could lead to different rules in each country, which is a very important hurdle for export companies.
The responsible company has to document:
- That a decision has been made concerning the minimization process
- That the heavy metal contents in the packaging are within the limits
- That the contents of environmentally hazardous components have been examined and limited to a minimum
- That a decision concerning recycling ability has been made
- For every market a decision concerning what should happen with the packaging after use has to be made. The possibilities are material recycling, combustion with energy recovery (electricity and/or heat), compostation and/or biodegradation.