Test marketing is the same methode as direct market observations but performed on limeted markets in order to limit risks.
- Find a representative market - use earlier sales statistics, and public statistics.
- Make aggreements with a limited number of retailshops
- Registration of sales numbers in these retailshops.
- Change the packaging design - use either more or less packaging.
- New registration of sales numbers on the same markets and/or retailshops.
- Analyse of data.
- Repeate this process until you are able to demonstrate optimal packaging
- Write a report for documentation of the process.
The method is simple and does not need equipment or educated personnel. Normal this will be a very expensive method to use because you in the process must demonstrate bad sales number in order to demonstrate critical area of packaging. But on a limited market lost sale is not a big problem. The real problem using test marketing is the time you need for the assessment.
See also under Packaging Science - Marketing - Test Marketing