You can demonstrate optimal packaging as follows:
- A packaging system is designed in the best craftsmanship tradition (or by more scientific based design methods).
- A few prototypes are produced and products are packed in these.
- The company evaluates own distribution system and has developed a test programme for the simulation of the transport, handling and warehousing.
- The packed product is tested in a performance test.
- After the performance tests the packaging and the products are evaluated.
- If the packed product then is accepted the design is either over-packed or optimal – if not the packaging under-packed.
- In case of the packaging not being approved the design must be upgraded and the process starts again from the start.
- In case of approval of the packaging after the tests you do not know your situation – either over-packed or optimal.
- For this reason you must reduce the packaging materials in your packaging system and the process starts again from the start.
- You must proceed these processes on either reducing or upgrading until the evaluation changes.
- Then you know your optimal packaging is between the two last proposals.
- If the differences are minor you can decide to use the second last packaging design.
Please observe you have to demonstrate all packaging on the market. For this reason you must start with an evaluation and re-design of all existing packaging on the European market.